Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Musical community

If you've never heard of the website Soundcloud, you're missing out. I was recently perusing my brother's songs ( available here) and I was thinking about the potential that technology has brought to the industry at large. Now, artists can immediately receive feedback on their style, songs, and techniques immediately. It acts both as a marketing tool, as well as an interesting sort of "community-critique." Other users can select points in the song to tag with their own comments, thereby making contextual remarks within individual songs. This sort of up-to-the-minute style review is extremely new. It used to be such that songs were made largely with no input from members outside of the band. Now, the song-making process has been simplified through software packages such as Fruity Loops, and the refining process is being revolutionized through services like Soundcloud. I will be interested to see where social networking trends take the music industry in the future, as innovations like this can really be game changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment