Friday, April 2, 2010

Gospel & Soul

I just finished watching the Coen Brother's remake of "The Ladykillers." I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite lukewarm reviews. But one of the things that really struck me was the use of Gospel throughout the movie in a variety of ways. However, the ironic use proved the most enjoyable. During each of the movie's most morbid scenes, gospel featured prominently. Particularly, when one character known only as "The General," sneaks into Ms. Munson's room to kill her, gospel music plays on an unseen turntable. Although it seems the spirit of the woman's deceased husband ultimately protects her, the hilarious twist that ensues is underscored by the uplifting gospel music in the background singing "We must get back to the Lord."

The Coen brothers have a certain knack for film making. I enjoy many of their movies, particularly their use of sound. The music in the film becomes essential to the atmosphere. I often had to remind myself the film was set in present day. Not only because of the mannerisms of the main characters, but because the music hurled you back to a different time. The way that we connect music with peoples and traditions is indeed a powerful binding. Without that connection, we would be forced to draw these connections in other ways. The music allows us to slip into the scenes without effort.

My final point is about gospel. I am always at a loss when I hear the raw power inherent in this music, rooted in the soul and faith of the singers. It seems that the voices, so fraught with emotion, are reaching out to you. I do not know that any music has the kind of emotional power that gospel, and later, soul, evokes. Without the music, it probably would have been just another caper. With the music, it became an interesting, endearing commentary on life, law, religion, and trust. The musical score brought about an emotional connection. As the choir sang in the final hilarious moment, the brothers showed you clear as day the very comeuppance these gospel singers were proclaiming.

No comments:

Post a Comment